Traditionally, it's a leavened bread with mixed dried fruits soaked in tea mixed throughout it, but I try to avoid cooking with yeast as much as I can. Why? Because it is a) really fiddly, and b) gives me a sore stomach if I eat too much.
This is also eaten in Wales, where it is called bara brith.
☑ Soya (check for soya lecithin)
☒ Gluten (spelt)
For 1 8 inch (20 centimetre) cob
- 13 ounces (375 grammes) dried mixed fruit
- 2 ounces (55 grammes) brown sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 6 fluid ounces (180 millilitres) warm strong tea
- 8 ounces (225 grammes) wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) cinnamon or mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) baking soda
- Pinch of salt
THIS TIME LAST YEAR: Variations on a Theme: Surfing Toffee Tray Cake