Friday 3 October 2014

Experiments with Natural Food Colouring: Beetroot

It's Friday the 3rd of October, which here in Ireland is "Paint it Pink" Day, where the Irish public is encouraged to do something pink and upload photos to social media, hastagged with #PINKPICS, to raise awareness for breast cancer patients, and fund raise through text donations. More information can be found at www.irishcancersociety.ie.

As such, I thought I'd use this as an excuse to do something which I've been thinking about for ages: experiment with beetroot as a natural food colouring!


Sadly, the above cakes were not coloured with beetroot, and I'll tell you why.

I bought some pre-cooked beetroot to purée and use as food colouring, and I puréed one whole cooked beetroot and added it to my batter. The batter was hot neon pink before entering the oven, and as such I was filled with excitement. But once they came out of the oven they looked like this



Not very pink at all, as you can see. I wonder if using pre-cooked beetroot was the issue, as I have done a bit of research and found that most recipes use raw beetroot to colour by grating it in to the batter. I think I'll give this a go next.

But still managed to make something pink my covering them in some nice buttery glacé icing, made by mixing 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) of melted butter with 2 ounces (55 grammes) of icing sugar, adding water in drop by drop until a nice glazing consistency is achieved.

I then dyed it pink, obviously. And sprinkled some likkle hearts on top...


Has anyone else experimented with using beetroot as a natural dye? If so, let me know what you discovered and I might learn something new!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...