Monday 8 October 2018

Variation on a Theme: Chili Double Chocolate Cookies

For my first strange and unusual recipe for October, I offer you chili double chocolate cookies!


As I mentioned in my candied chili recipe, this idea was born out of a conversation I had with my brother's girlfriend, Stefi, who is originally from Ecuador. She was eating a gingernut biscuit, and wondered whether a hot and spicy chocolate variety could be achieved.

She said the main characteristic that she liked in gingernuts was how well the different flavours coalesced in a smooth and harmonious way. She wondered if such a harmony of tastes could be achieved in chilli chocolate cookies, where the cocoa and chilli would come together well, and that the spiciness would be consistent throughout the eating experience, instead of hitting you suddenly at the beginning, or growing on you as you chew.

I found the best way to balance instant heat and gradual heat is to use two different kinds of spiciness: cayenne pepper, for the gradual, burning heat; and white pepper for the insta-burn. I also decorated the tops with little tiny pieces of candied chilli pepper, picked from Stefi's own chilli plant (which were exceedingly hot).

DIFFICULTY
Easy!

~ ^_^ ~

INGREDIMENTS

7½ ounces (210 grammes) plain flour: spelt, wheat, or gluten-free
½ ounce (15 grammes) cocoa powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
¾ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon ground white pepper
Pinch of salt
4 ounces (115 grammes) caster sugar
4 ounces (115 grammes) light brown sugar
4 ounces (115 grammes) butter, very soft
1 medium egg
8 ounces (225 grammes) chocolate chunks or chips: I use a mixture of equal parts dark and milk chocolate chunks
Optional: 1 tablespoon finely chopped candied chilies

~ ^_^ ~

METHOD

  • Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mk.4) and line one or two flat baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars until creamy with a wooden spoon. Add in egg and beat vigorously until light and fluffy.
  • Add in chocolate chunks and mix thoroughly. You can add any combination of milk, dark, or even white chocolate chunks or chips. I buy bars of chocolate and cut them up, but if you want the chocolate to keep its shape use shop-bought chocolate chips.
  • Sieve in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, and spices and mix, continuing with the wooden spoon, until you have a stiff but tacky dough.
  • Take roughly 1 ounce (30 gramme) portions of the dough and roll into balls. You can weigh the dough balls, or eyeball it. This mixture will make 30 one-ounce (thirty gramme) dough balls.
  • Place dough balls on the tray(s), 2 inches apart from each other and the edge of the tray, and bake for 8 to 9 minutes, turning the trays back to front half-way through baking.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a minute or so before transferring to a wire rack to cool. These cookies are delicious still warm from the oven, or cooled completely.

4 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful!!! I love the mixture of chocolate and chili. Not sure where I can find candied chilies, but I'm going to go on a mission to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love the "Mexican Hot Chocolate" combination: chocolate, chili, and cinnamon ^_^ I've never seen a candied chili anywhere in this country, but I know a friend who is originally from California who said he got chili peppers canned in syrup. I still have some chili syrup leftover from making them myself ;-)

      Delete
  2. Oh, I just saw you have a recipe for them, I must have missed that post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blog a lot, so you're bound to miss one or two ;-)

      Delete

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...