Sunday 7 May 2017

Variation on a Theme: Pepperoni, Mozarella, and Spinach Quiche

Got leftover pizza toppings and eggs in the fridge? Why, make a quiche of course!

A few weeks ago, I made my first ever quiche and became a convert: who'd have thought that an omelette in an edible plate of pastry would be so delicious? And also, who'd have thought that--like and omelette--they're great for using up stuff in the fridge.


The other night, my companion and I had a pizza, and I had some leftover pepperoni, mozzarella, and spinach. So, I just cooked up the leftover pepperoni, about 2 ounces (55 grammes) worth, and a few handfuls of spinach with half a red onion, chopped finely, and then scattered it into the pre-baked 9 inch pastry crust along with a few handfuls of mozzarella. I know these measurements aren't really exact, but quiche filling isn't an exact science!


I used three medium eggs in the filling, mixed with twice as much (in weight) milk, for the filling. I replaced about an ounce (30 grammes) of the milk with some yoghurt for extra interest. After adding salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste, I poured it over the filling in the pastry case before topping off with some grated cheddar for added crustification (which is now a word thanks to Chef John of Food Wishes).


I baked the quiche for about 40 minutes at 180°C (350°F, Gas Mk.4), until it was puffed and golden. Because I cooked this the night before for my companion to enjoy the next day while I wasn't around, I didn't have any; but I have it on his good authority that it was very, very tasty indeed!

THIS TIME IN 2015: Peppermint Ice (Totally not a rip off of Kendal Mint Cake at all. I promise)
No blogs on this day in 2016, 2014, or 2013

Photographs by SilverBolt

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...