Friday 30 January 2015

Chocolate Pudding (Egg and Wheat Free)

Recently I've been abstaining from all sweetie things, except for my 40 calorie hot chocolate sachets and my occasional four square line off a Lidl bar of chocolate, in an attempt to lose the half a stone that I gained over the Christmas period. So far, since last Sunday, I have lost about four and a half pounds, and I'm fairly pleased with myself! Also, I'm saving my allotted calorie expenditure for the week for my birthday, which is on Sunday coming.

So this week I thought I'd try out a new recipe, which is an egg-less chocolate pudding, akin to an American style pudding.


My association with the word "pudding" is that of a boiled cake, but this is what the Americans call a pudding. I don't know what our folk would call this: custard? A dessert? A chocolate pot? But regardless of its name, it's fairly tasty.

It is by no means low calorie, though: if you make this recipe for one person, it's about 310 calories (155 if shared between two people equally), so it's a naught treat; but a delicious naughty treat.

FREE FROM
☑ Soya (check for soya lecithin)
☑ Yeast
☑ Eggs

☑ Gluten

CONTAINS
☒ Cocoa
☒ Dairy
☒ Refined sugar products

INGREDIMENTS
For 1 generous or 2 small helpings

  • 2 ounces (55 grammes) chocolate of your choice, broken into small pieces
  • 4 fluid ounces (120 millilitres) whole milk
  • 1 tablespoon (15 millilitres) sugar
  • ½ tablespoon (8 millilitres) cornflour
  • 1 teaspoon (5 millilitres) butter
  • 1 teaspoon (5 millitires) vanilla essence

METHOD
  • In a small saucepan, blend the sugar and cornflour with a little bit of milk to make a smooth paste. Add the rest of the milk, stirring continuously.
  • Put the mixture over a medium heat, mixing all the time with a whisk. Bring to the boil, and boil for about 2 minutes or until thickened.
  • Remove from heat and stir in the chocolate, vanilla and butter until fully melted and combined. Pour into a cappuccino cup, or into two glasses.
  • Cover with cling film, making sure the film directly touches the surface of the custard, and allow to cool to room temperature before chilling for at least 2 hours.
  • To serve, remove the film and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.

This is a very simple way to make custard or pudding without having to worry about scrambling eggs, or if you're trying to avoid eating eggs. It's nice and smooth and creamy, but if you prefer a smoother or firmer pudding, adjust the cornflour by half a teaspoon each way.


THIS TIME LAST YEAR: Caramel Ice-Cream (Egg- and Wheat Free)

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...