Tuesday 14 January 2014

Oatie Biscuits (Wheat Free)

First recipe of 2014! Here's something nice and simple with only 4 ingredients, without frills.

 (I apologise for the inferior picture quality: 
I should never take photos in my kitchen after dark)

I made these today for my college classmates for two reasons: a) I always bake something for my college classmates, and b) I used all my flour last night in a vegan pancake recipe experiment. The pancakes were quite nice, but not worth wasting all that flour on.

Having said that, I am quite glad that I made these little flapjacky biscuity Hobnobby things as they went down a real treat and were right tasty. A woman in my class asked if I could upload the recipe for her so she could make these with her children.

FREE FROM
☑ Soya (check for soya lecithin)
☑ Yeast
☑ Wheat
☑ Eggs

CONTAINS
☒ Gluten
☒ Dairy (use ingredients in italics for a dairy-free version)
☒ Refined sugar products

INGREDIMENTS:
  • 4 ounces (115 grammes) butter or block margarine
  • 4 ounces (115 grammes) brown sugar
  • 4 ounces (115 grammes) golden syrup
  • 8 ounces (225 grammes) porridge oats (NOT Jumbo oats)
  • Optional: 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
  • Optional: 1½ ounces (40 grammes) dried fruit or chopped nuts

HOW TO
  • Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mk.4, or moderate). Line one or two baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
  • In saucepan, heat together the butter, sugar and syrup until fully melted and combined.
  • Stir in the oats and fruit or nuts, if using, until every oat is coated. It should be a nice thick dough.
  • Take tablespoonfuls and roll into balls, placing in the tray 2 inches (5 centimetres) apart to allow for spreading. Flatten each one slightly with a wet fork.
  • Bake for 11 to 13 minutes, or until they become flat little wafery biscuits that are golden around the edges.
  • Remove from the oven and pull the baking paper, with the biscuits still attached, onto the work surface. This will cool them down quicker.
  • Slide each biscuit off with a palette knife and cool on a wire rack.

VARIATION: You could replace the golden syrup with honey or maple syrup for a more interesting flavour.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...