Tuesday 11 February 2020

Leftover Bread and Jam Pudding

Got some leftover bread? Why not make some bread pudding!


Making bread pudding is very simple: all you need is stale bread, eggs, milk, and sugar. However, you can add other things to jazz it up with some butter, or even some jam.

To make this pudding, which served four, I used 4 slices of white bread (actually, I used up the last of my pink bread), enough strawberry jam to make sandwiches, 2 medium eggs, 3 fluid ounces (85 millilitres) each of milk and whipping cream, and 1 tablespoon of sugar. To top it off before cooking, I also used about 1 tablespoon of butter.

Make 2 sandwiches with the bread and jam and cut each into quarters (I broke up two of the quarters to line the dish because it wasn't long enough for all the sandwiches), and then arrange in the dish, which should be well buttered. In a jug, mix together the eggs, cream, milk, and sugar very well. Strain over the sandwiches and allow the whole confection to soak for at least 2 hours, or better, overnight in the fridge.

When you want to cook it, dot the top with butter and sprinkle with coarse Demerara sugar. Bake in a preheated 180C oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until nicely puffed and well browned. I served this with a little whipping cream that I mixed with some raspberry jam for flavour.


This is a delicious and simple weeknight dessert, and one of my all time favourite desserts. It tastes like a lovely squishy croissant served with cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...