Saturday 7 September 2019

Let's Go To The Circus! A Cupcake Design

At 28 years old, I had never (as far as I could remember) been to a circus. So my husband took me to the one that was in town this week and I had a blast! All the performers were incredible acrobats, and the clown was very sweet.

I was inspired by my time at the circus to make these cute themed cupcakes! Chocolate cakes with a mildly peanutty buttercream, topped off with a mini candy floss!


I know that circuses don't have animals anymore, but I still associate elephants and camels and that old timey sense of wonder at amazing spectacles! And because of elephants, I thought of peanuts.... thus peanut butter. Also, while at the circus I had some candy floss; yumyum!

INGREDIENTS
12 chocolate cupcakes, in pink or blue cases
6 ounces (170 grammes) salted butter
3 fluid ounces (105 millilitres) condensed milk
3 ounces (85 grammes) smooth peanut butter
12 ounces (340 grammes) icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
A few drops of almond essence
6 paper straws with pink stripes
A tub of candy floss, pink and blue
Pink and blue sprinkles

METHOD
  • Make a buttercream icing with the butter, condensed milk, peanut butter, icing sugar, vanilla and almond essences. 
  • Use the icing to pipe swirls on top of the cakes, and sprinkle with the blue and pink sprinkles.
  • Cut the straws in half and use each half as a stick for the candy flosses: wrap pieces of candy floss around the straws and gently squeeze to secure. Keep the candy flosses in an airtight container until serving.
  • Decorate the cakes with the mini candy flosses immediately before serving, not in advance, otherwise the candy flosses will melt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...