Tuesday 26 June 2018

Irish Weather Report: Too Hot to Bake (pun not intended)

June has been a slow month for me recipes-wise: the weather has simply been too, too hot to stay in a kitchen cooking up sweets and treats! I don't handle the hot weather well in any way, shape of form, and find that when the weather is too hot I don't feel like doing anything but sleeping or hiding in the fridge.

Ireland is in a moderate temperature zone: generally, the weather rarely creeps over 17°C, and rarely dips below 5°C, and is typically hovering around a nice 10°C (I have no idea what any of those temperatures are in Fahrenheit, by the way) so my mild Celtic constitution has zero concept of how to cope with anything above 20°C.

However, the end of May through June this year have been averaging at 26°C.

Needless to say, I've been suffering. A lot.

This has been one of the hottest summers I can remember: 2013 was pretty damn hot too, with highs of 28°C with constant, oppressive, blazing sunshine. There are times where even wearing string vests and short shorts is still too many clothes for this kind of heat.

Usually in this kind of weather I turn to making ice-cream, chilled desserts, and ice-pops, but even staying inside the house long enough to make any of those has been too challenging for me. Coming up with new ideas has been even more so of a challenge when encumbered by a constant, dehydration-induced brain fuzz, as even my usual idea generating exercises and inspiration processes aren't working.

I think if climate change continues to make our summers hotter, I might have to migrate to a more northerly part of the world.... maybe Denmark!

Despite that, I did do some little experiments and projects throughout the past 6 weeks that I'm gonna upload to June as back-dated blogs: I made some kiwi curd, some nice milk tart, and a few other delicious things.

The videos will be returning too now that my martial arts training and exams are over for another few months. I understand that my last video was April, which was ages and ages ago. Where I fell down with my video production was that most of my videos were impromptu shoots and I didn't have a battle plan that I was sticking to.

Let's see what the next few weeks have in store.....

Love,
Sweetie x

2 comments:

  1. Hello again. Thanks for the information on my question on the Toffee crisp recipe. I haven't made it yet, but I'm anxious to try it. I feel for you and hot weather, I hate it too. Thankfully we have an air conditioner and I'm not afraid to use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a problem, Roz!

      Here in Ireland, because the climate is normally quite cool, we don't have much air con. You get it in shopping centres and such, but definitely not in any houses! :'(

      Delete

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...