Friday 23 October 2015

Baking Competition Ideas

Happy Friday, all! I hope you have cool plans for the weekend.

This week has been super busy for me; in fact, the last two weeks have been super busy! For anyone who doesn't know, my day job is in youth and community work, and a fortnight ago our community café gallery was opened. I have been put in there as the manager, under the auspices of the Methodist church, as it's one of their outreach projects.

It has required me to learn a lot about managing volunteers, kitchen cleanliness, and PR, and it's been hard - but satisfying - work. This is the first time I've had such responsibility, and ownership, over a project in this position. I've been making a lot of mistakes so far, but it's all part of the process.

Last week, I went in the local cake decorating supply shop Decobake, and the sales assistant informed me that they will be having a baking competition on Halloween! I'm super excited about joining in, and am thinking of making a gingerbread house, à la Hansel and Gretel.

I've been doing a lot of visual research and coming up with ideas: I think now is the time to start doing some drawings. However, because I'm chronically disorganised, I keep forgetting to bring sketchbooks with me into work to keep me busy while I'm minding the coffee dock space.

A few of my friends came to visit me at home last weekend, and we had a Halloween splurge. We bought decorations, and watched both 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' and 'Beetlejuice'. I had a super nostalgia fest, reminiscing on my days as an alternative emo teenager, decked out with Nightmare Before Christmas merch and chains (which was a phase that started in '06 but never ended). I took great inspiration from the house owned by the late Maitlands, as is has a great doll house feel, and at the same time is super spooky.


I was thinking of adapting this house into something a little simpler, then decorating the living daylights out of it!

More updates to follow...

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...