Saturday 13 May 2017

American Style: Chocolate Fudge Tart

What's not to like about a buttery pastry case filled with chocolate custard? Nothing, that's what!


I know recently I've been doing a lot of American style stuff, but I've been wanting to experiment with custard tarts for a while, and I thought making a chocolate one would be a good start! I am my father's daughter insofar as I'm a complete chocoholic, after all!

The filling has the consistency of a nicely firm set chocolate ganache, but is nowhere near as heavy as the traditional chocolate-and-cream confection: this is made with chocolate, butter, sugar, and eggs to provide something a little more custard like.


I've been tirelessly researching the science and ratios of custard tarts, and how eggs interact with other ingredients. I did so much research that my mind was beginning to be boggled, so I thought what the heck, let'd just experiment!

I decided to take my red velvet cake, and simply replace the flour with melted chocolate, maintaining its ratio to the butter, sugar, and eggs, and omitting all the liquid and leavening ingredients. And it was a tremendous success. Although at first I was doubting this project, because my pastry crust hadn't turned out as well as usual, the success of the filling more than made up for it! The filling is gorgeously soft and custardy, with a paper thin shiny crust.


This cake is a fantastic indulgent treat, and best enjoyed in small doses! This nine inch (twenty-two centimetre) tart should serve 12 to 16 people. I will definitely be continuing my experimentations with custard tarts.

INGREDIMENTS
For one 9 inch (22 centimetre) pie

  • One 9 inch (22 centimetre) blind baked pie crust
  • 9 ounces (250 grammes) plain chocolate, 50% cocoa or more
  • 6 ounces (170 grammes) butter
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 6 ounces (170 grammes) light brown sugar
  • 3 ounces (85 grammes) caster sugar
  • 2 teaspoons (10 millilitres) vanilla essence

METHOD

  • Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F, Gas Mk.4).
  • In a large jug or medium sized mixing bowl, melt together the chocolate and butter until smooth and without lumps. 
  • Add in the sugars and mix completely, before beating in the eggs until well combined.
  • Pour the mixture into the blind baked pie crust, and tap firmly on the counter top to release any trapped bubbles, Place onto the centre shelf of the preheated oven and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top has become a thin, shiny crust, and the filling is slightly puffed.
  • Remove from the oven and cool completely on a wire rack before chilling for about an hour or two, or until firmly set. Serve cold with whipped cream, or ice cream.

THIS TIME IN 2016: Chocolate Biscuit Cake, a.k.a: Rocky Road
THIS TIME IN 2013: Experiment: Homemade Sprinkles
No blogs on this day in 2014 or 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's been a while! Happy 9th Anniversary!

  It's been a while. The past two years have been a helluva a ride. This year is gonna hold some big changes for this blog. I'm comp...